Thursday 17 January 2008

Will and Won't

Following on from the previous post I was thinking this morning about all of the things I will miss, and those that I won't. Many of them are interconnected. Here are some initial ones.

I'll miss the quality of the coffee.

I won't miss the extra expense of sitting down to drink it.


I'll miss the pizza.

I won't miss the fact that pizza is basically the only good take away food option in Naples.


I'll miss the cobblestone streets in the UNESCO 'protected' (I use that word lightly) historical centre.

I won't miss not being able to wear high heels (I only wear flat shoes in Naples as it's too difficult to get around on foot in heels, and the cobblestones destroy your heels anyway, which explains the abundance of excellent, reasonably cheap cobblers and shoe repairers.)


I'll miss the castles, monuments and piazzas.

I won't miss the graffiti that seems to represent the disregard of the locals for the treasures they walk past every day.


I'll miss the colours of Naples against the backdrop of a brilliant blue sky.

I won't miss the depressing appearance of Naples when it's raining and the heavens are a blanket of grey.


I'll miss the strangely reassuring presence of the Vesuvio Volcano, as a contant feature of solidarity.

I won't miss feeling the constant threat it represents, likely to erupt at any time.

No comments: