Tuesday 6 May 2008

Yo Mama

It was my birthday last week. Mid week birthdays can be a bit of a drag, especially if you have to make an appearance at the office. To counterbalance a Wednesday birthday, 38 years no less, Gigi and I had a lovely romantic weekend at Noosa the weekend before my birthday. Just as importantly though I gathered my friends for a relaxed birthday lunch on the Sunday after the anti climatic Wednesday.
Yo Mama Cafe is a bit of a secret gem in New Farm, where they serve deliciously wholesome food, along with some wicked cakes and excellent coffee. Christina, the owner, turned out to be a friend of Gigi's (who doesn't this guy know!) and she kindly took a reservation for 15 (not what they normally do) setting up a table on the footpath amongst the trees and old Queensland style homes that characterise New Farm.
There is something very special about coming home after two years away and being able to step straight back into such solid, warm, caring friendships. I feel blessed to know that such wonderful people take time out of their busy lives to help me celebrate the approach to 40. And, as a side note, with no disrespect to my male friends...Nick you know what I mean...it is the women friends who sat around that table on Sunday afternoon that really bring me joy. I have a different connection with each of them, drawing on their strengths and delighting in their individual quirks. Some of them, well maybe most of them, have seen me behave quite appallingly at times. Either they have forgiven me my faults (thanks Connie), or they have very bad memories. Their generosity and support continues to surprise me, just as it did while we were living in Naples. They inspire me.
And they brought me gifts. Flowers, bottles of wine (white ... thank you ladies), jewellery (some of it lovingly hand crafted, and all of it in my favourite colours red, black and purple), a big of glamour with a silver handbag and travel books (another secret weakness of mine).
I have to say that the highlight of the luncheon was the birthday cake that Christina had made at Gigi's request, using one of her mother's secret recipes. It was something like Greek vanilla cake, but with flaky pastry at the base and oozing luscious sweetness it was surely something a gift from heaven. The girls tried to get the recipe out of Christina but she gently rebuffed their approaches. However, our resident foodie of Italian heritage, Antonia, has managed to dig up some possible recipes from the Internet. I dare say Charmaine, Kylie-Ann and Kristina will be giving it a go as well. I might just wait til the dust settles and see who gets the best result.
Good food, good company, good weather and good vibes. I sat there watching my friends, three of them mothers-to-be, two engaged to be wed, others with children starting to lean over the edge of the nest and some dealing with major life changes, marvelling at my good fortune.
Thank you for the gifts my friends, but mostly I thank you all for your gifts of friendship. Sunday lunch at Yo Mama Cafe was one of the loveliest birthday celebrations I've had in years.
The cheeky Janet with her beau Alex.

Soon to be married Sarah and Moss.
Camera shy David and Jana.
Parents in waiting Bill and Tone.
Me and him.
The two K's - Kristina and Kylie-Ann


1. Mike and Charmaine. 2. Another Jenny

No comments: