Tuesday 6 May 2008

Ed weds Julie

It might seem a bit strange going to your ex boyfriend's wedding. But when you've been exes five times as long as the time you went out (together for three years, exex for more than 15) it puts it into perspective really.
After all this time Eddie and I remain good friends. I was honoured to be invited to his and Julie's wedding. I must admit that I didn't give it much thought after having responded to the RSVP weeks ago. This was the first wedding in ages that Gigi and I would be attending without being caught up with some sort of responsibility as a family member or attendant. Having bought a gift on Friday, I bought a new blouse on Saturday, confident that my outfit would somehow fall together without too much pre planning.
We managed to pull ourselves into wedding mode and arrived in good time, although as we drove into the carpark I suddenly found myself thinking 'Is it really such a good idea that I be coming to this wedding?'. Very self centred of me, but it suddenly dawned on me that I would be seeing Eddie's friends and family again, after a 17 year hiatus. I was right and wrong to feel that way. I struggled with waves of shyness all night, having to admit to several people that I couldn't remember their names, or their place in the historical picture.
My doubts were misplaced though as they all remembered me (isn't it always so unfair that you have to remember a dozen names, and yet everyone else just has to remember your one name). The whole evening was a collage of interesting conversations, fuelled by waiters who continually refilled my beer/wine/champagne glass at every opportunity. At 38 I am certainly a more mature being than I was when they last encountered me in 1991 and I was fascinated to catch up on their life developments. Marriages, children, careers, life choices. It was better than a school reunion somehow.
The ceremony and reception were at the Victoria Park Golf complex, with sweeping views over the golf course looking out towards Brisbane city centre. As dusk settled the city began to light up, changing from a panorama of leafy green and steely coloured sky scrapers to a blanket of black punctuated with sparkling jewels of red, white and blue.
Highlights of the event included Eddie and Julie's daughter (just over 1 year old) toddling down the red carpet, looking up at the guests in wonder, managing to lose a little white shoe along the way. The ceremony itself was punctuated with laughs as Eddie leapt into the rabbit hole of matrimony. In honour of his Chinese heritage they conducted a Chinese tea ceremony demonstrating their respect for both sets of parents.
The meal was lovely, and they managed to cater for Gigi's veganism beautifully. The wait staff were exceptional, a little too good really as attested by my jolly state and woozy head the following day. Eddie had programmed his laptop with a selection of music and we hit the dance floor, breaking up the ebb and flow of conversation as favourite hits from the 80's and 90's enticed people away from the tables.
Luke, Nick, Damien, Helen, Sarah were on my reconnection list and I can't say how amazing it was to be talking with them again. New friends included Helen's Steve and Sarah's Brendon, one of whom tore up the dance floor with his sexy moves and the other chose to generally avoid it. Everyone certainly looks older, and wiser, but they definitely looked younger than I would have expected either side of 40.
It was one of those weddings where everyone, bride and groom especially, just seemed to have such a good time. I know I did. Surely these are the best types of weddings.
We congratulate Eddie and Julie on their marriage and wish them only happiness together. Their wedding was a delightful way to kick start a life together, I might say.


1. Little Ava toddled down before her mother.
2. Julie and her dad walk down the aisle.Julie and her Dad both beamed with joy.

1. The view from the reception centre.
2. Julie kneels before Eddie's mum during the tea ceremony.

A Chinese tea ceremony honoured their parents.

The cake was gorgeous.

Eddie and Julie cut the cake.Here I am with the groom Eddie.
And this is how I was feeling towards the end of the night.
Brendon, Sarah (Eddie's 'best' (wo)man) and the groom himself.
Eddie played DJ mixing it up on and off the dance floor.
Groom Eddie with school friend Helen.

No comments: